Babysitter questions: what questions to ask parents
What should you ask parents that you are babysitting for before they leave? Make sure you’re ready with our tips below!
There are many steps to preparing for a babysitting job, from making a great babysitter profile and reaching out to parents, to nailing that all-important interview. However, one very important final step is asking the parent questions before babysitting. This can happen during the interview phase or even in the last few minutes before the parent leaves.
Asking the right questions can set you up for success in your babysitting job, help make your life easier, and avoid simple mistakes that may otherwise occur due to miscommunication.
So, what should you ask parents before babysitting?
What to ask parents before babysitting
There are plenty of questions you can ask the parents or guardians of a child before babysitting. In general, what you should ask depends upon what you may have already found out through previous communication with the parent and what they may have already told you.
However, when deciding what to ask parents before babysitting, consider the following questions:
- What are the names and ages of the children?
- What are the children like? What are their personality traits, pet peeves, etc?
- What do the children like? What are their favorite toys, things to do, games, movies?
- What is the daily schedule of the child and the daily schedule they’d like you to follow?
- When are you needed to babysit? Daily, weekly, monthly, and specific days or times?
- When can you expect the parents to return home?
- Where can necessities be found in the house? Where are you allowed or not allowed to go in the house?
- House rules: What can you or can't you use in the house? What can and can't the kids do?
- What to do in case of an emergency: Who (and how) to contact in emergencies, where to find first aid supplies, do the kids have any allergies or medical conditions.
- What are the expectations of the babysitting job? i.e. Are there any extra duties or responsibilities that they may need you to do (i.e. cook, take care of pets, etc.)?
The questions may also vary depending on the age of the child. For example, if you were wondering about what questions to ask parents when babysitting an infant, these can include the above, but dive deeper into more specifics of daily schedules, when they normally sleep, what they eat and when, or even tips for getting them to eat or stop crying, and more.
To make it easier for you, have a look at our babysitter checklist here:
You can use our babysitter checklist to help guide you, or take a look at our interview questions for a babysitter in order to get a better understanding of questions you may have to answer or want to ask.
Now that you know what to ask parents, it's time to find babysitter jobs! Or perhaps you're looking for nanny jobs? Use Babysits to find the perfect job today.
Interested in more tips on preparing for babysitting or a babysitting interview? Check out some of these articles: